Thursday, September 1, 2011

Control-freak to Jesus-freak...

Today I finished reading Job in my One Year Bible and I was overwhelmed by the final chapters when God speaks to Job out of the storm. First, he literally spoke to him out of the storm--that is a wonderfully powerful way to communicate. Job was so desperate to hear from the Lord at this point that he likely would have heard even the tiniest whisper. But, God used this powerful form of communication to help prove his point. Second, God essentially put Job in his place but he did this by reminding him of all the things only God has and is capable of doing....

"where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me if you understand. Who marked off it's dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring a line across it?....Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb....when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt'?" 
excerpts from Job 38: 4-11


As I sat reading this I first started thinking back to Job's friends and their poor advice. I was mentally pointing the finger at them, scolding them and Job for trying to figure out why this occurred and what Job needed to do to fix his circumstances. It is comical how quickly I realized, that I behave like Job and each of his friends daily. Yes, me....I try to figure out why each little nuance of everyday occurs, why something I didn't plan had to happen and what I could have done to alter it. As I was pointing the finger back at Job and his friends, the Lord "spoke to me out of the storm" and reminded me that if he can tell the waves how far to go, tell the sun when to rise and fall and was in control even when Job could not see it, then my life is certainly under his watchful provision. How wonderful is that?!?! And yet, how often I need the reminder.

Taking life one day at a time has never come easy to me but I am learning that it is the only way to really walk with Jesus. Life is not in my control (much to my chagrin) so I can fight each day trying to control things or I can enjoy my days embracing what He is giving me....

Most recently, the Lord gave me a new adventure to embrace....I have signed up to be a:



This company is a Christian-based company whose "mission is a reflection of this philosophy: to celebrate, encourage and reward women by offering quality products and an outstanding opportunity to become successful business owners."

We are eager to see what the Lord is going to do through this new adventure!! Whether this is a way to simply meet new women or a way to start a new career, I are excited to see what each day with Thirty-One holds!! Regardless of this excitement and eagerness, my "always plan ahead" nature struggles with looking at the calendar and thinking "we have x, y and z happening" and "how can I do this?" But, the Lord is taking my control-freak nature into his hands which means only one thing...

...something beautiful will be created! Hopefully something a little closer to the woman of God he wants me to be!




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! That's really cool. Now, if there were a 31-Flavors consultant I might just sign up to be one. Maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea, on second thought.

    ReplyDelete