Monday, May 2, 2011

Bargain Basement Heaven?

There's a scene in "The Devil Wears Prada" where Miranda (Streep) is ranting and raving about the outfits for a layout and is looking at two belts that are seemingly the same. Andy (Hathaway) laughs under her breath because the belts look exactly the same. In response, Miranda goes on this tirade about fashion and how Andy is not above the very specific decisions made in that very room. She unleashes her fury on Andy about her cerulean sweater and says how this color was first debuted and then chosen by the people in the room and then it trickled down through the various levels of fashion to the "bargain basement" where Andy no doubt purchased it.  (Note that this poor synopsis does not do the scene justice....it simply helps illustrate my point.)

I often feel like our world is living with the bargain basement cerulean sweater version of Heaven....not the world-renowned-designer, high fashion, very purposeful cerulean color it was intended to be. This version is what is outlined in the bible but this is not the version I have always clung to. Unfortunately I have lived a long time clinging to my bargain basement version of Heaven...

A coworker came in the other day stating that she would be gone the rest of the week due to a death in the family. Knowing that few words would really help, I simply said "I'm so sorry. Let me know if you need anything." As we got more details we learned that this family member was a young mother survived by her husband and three small children. Another coworker came to offer his condolences and said "No matter the circumstances death is hard. Even though it's a part of life, it never seems to get easier." Sensing that this may not be the best time to jump on a soapbox I silently chatted with Jesus.

I told him that I used to think the same way--death is a part of life so embrace it (bargain basement mentality). While I grieved when friends lost a grandparent or when I lost my own grandparents, I rationalized that they each lived a full long life so it was ok. When we lost out sweet Audrey my world was shaken because she had not had a full long life like a grandparent or even an adult. I couldn't reconcile my rationale with the circumstances and slowly my opinion on the whole subject changed. As I reviewed scripture I started to see something: death shouldn't sit well with me no matter someone's age because it was never intended to be part of life (purposeful cerulean color in all it's glory).


"...but you must not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, 
for when you eat of it you will surely die."
Genesis 2:17 

He takes time to make a clear distinction here that death will be the result of eating from that tree. If they were going to die anyway this would not have been the punishment for disobedience (if I was going to have a bedtime of 8pm everyday, my parents would not have told me "if you don't listen, you're going to bed at 8 tonight.") God continues in Genesis 3:19 when he outlines the curse that fell on man because Adam and Eve sinned. After speaking to the serpent and to Eve, He turns to Adam and says: 

"By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food 
until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken;
for dust you are and to dust you will return." 
Genesis 3:19

After warning them of the consequences, God follows through when he describes the curse placed on each guilty party. Clark's online commentary states: "It is evident from this that man would have been immortal had he never transgressed, and that this state of continual life and health depended on his obedience to his Maker." Death was not His intention, death was not his desire...death was the result of man not obeying his commands. 


Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” 
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 
I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
 “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. 
They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. 
There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain,
for the old order of things has passed away."
Revelation 21:1-4

Did you see verse 4?! "No more death!" How wonderful is that?! He's going to restore things to the way he intended them to be. AND, because we serve a gracious and redemptive God, those who love Him and die before his return get to rejoice with Him now--even before the New Jerusalem is a reality.

So while I am excited about the day when this New Jerusalem comes to fruition, it is right for death to not sit right me--it's a result of the fall like so many other things in our fallen world that rub me the wrong way. Please understand that I am not making this comment out of a holier-than-thou mentality. Like all others, I am sinner and need Christ to make me clean so I can rejoice with God in Heaven. But the Spirit of Christ living in me does not like the status quo to be enough--and this Spirit knows that accepting death as just part of life is the status quo...

Why did I take this vow of compromise?
Why did I try to keep it all inside?

So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave
The way it always was
Is no longer good enough
You make me want to be brave
Brave, brave

I've never known a fire that didn't begin with a flame
Every storm will start with just a drop of rain
But if you believe in me
That changes everything
So long, I'm gone

(for complete "Brave" lyrics, click here)


I'm trying to be brave and leave my bargain basement cerulean sweater behind so I can embrace all that the Lord intended...in all it's high-fashion purposeful glory!

1 comment:

  1. You got it, sister! You get it!

    Love that our pain has transformed many. Love that you are one...and that we now share the high-style vision of what Heaven really is!

    Keep being brave!

    ReplyDelete