Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lessons from my herbs


    
  
I was recently given three adorable pots for my patio....one contained basil, the next oregano and the last one rosemary. I definitely do not have a green thumb and manage to kill most plants shortly after receiving them--but not this time. This time, I'm going to invest the time and learn what these plants need so I can keep them alive and reap the benefits of their growth--cooking with fresh herbs!!

When I received these 3 plants they had recently been transplanted to their new homes in my pots. Thus, I was instructed that they needed a bit more TLC at the beginning because they were getting established. So I have checked them daily to make sure they are still moist--not wet--and watered them accordingly. And I have paid enough attention that I can see they are growing and appear to be doing well. So I got brave the other night and decided I wanted fresh herbs. So out to the patio I went with the scissors. A little trim here, cut a sprig there, smell the fragrance and trim a little more. At first I was worried it was too soon since they were getting established but their sweet smell put me over the top so I had to use them!! Even though I had done very little to help these three little plants grow thus far, there was a real sense of accomplishment as I finished cooking with herbs grown on my patio. I was relaying my triumph to one of the sweet friends who gave me my herbs and she said "Oh, good! You need to use them! The more you prune them, the more they grow." I was telling this to Paul and we both looked at each other as the same thought occurred to us simultaneously...

"Why are we surprised when we are pruned by God?" Like the herbs, when we are pruned our faith is increased and we grow closer to the Lord. Unless we are dealing with mandrake plants from Hogwarts (you can blame my husband for bringing out my inner nerd), the plants don't scream in protest as they are pruned. Rather, they are there offering the fruits of their vines for the taking. When I used the fresh herbs, my recipes were yummier than if I had used dried ones. Life is also "yummier" when the Lord trims a little here and snips a bit there; we are exposed to things we never would have seen before and experience things outside of ourselves. The pruning puts the produced fruit to use and allows new growth--growth that CAN'T happen without the pruning. As much as the pruning might hurt me in the moment, the growth and lessons learned require the discomfort.

Luckily for me, the herbs I was given enjoy full sun and really do better with less water rather than more--this is where they THRIVE. Some herbs prefer the shade and a wet environment--this is where they THRIVE. If I take one that likes dry and over water it, it will drown--no fruit. If one that likes water never receives any it chokes--no fruit. BUT, when I give each what they need and create an environment suited to their characteristics, they THRIVE. I don't know about you but sometimes (ahem, all the time) I find myself looking at others thinking 'I couldn't handle that situation' or 'I wish that was all I had to handle' or I am simply annoyed because they aren't going through what I am going through. Looking at my herbs taught me something--perhaps that other person needs the heat while I need the moisture and shade or vice versa. Maybe I'd drown if given that much and they'd choke without exactly what they've been given. Unlike the herbs, I think we thrive under different circumstances at different times in our lives and the wonderful thing is that God knows exactly what I need. He also knows what is going to cause me to drown, choke and THRIVE at any given moment. As the seasons change, I will have to move my herbs to the dining room table because they are not suited to freezing temperatures. As the seasons change in my life, the Lord changes how he provides his love to me. It's always there, it's simply delivered in exactly the way I need it in that season.

I did not want to have this epiphany at first because if this is true (and I believe it is) then this means that through the Lord, I have everything I need to THRIVE in my current situation. As the variables change, He is the one thing that never will. Did you catch that? Through the Lord, I have everything I need to THRIVE in my current situation. This is really hard to swallow when you don't like all aspects of the current situation, but to me it is also encouraging that as He prunes me, I'm going to grow. Growth is movement forward and that is a step closer to the Lord and thus, a step closer to the dreams he has placed in my heart.

Wow....all of this from herbs! I'll leave you with the words of Christ:

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 
He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, 
while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 
You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 
Remain in me and I will remain in you. 
No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. 
Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him,
he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers;
such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, 
and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit,
showing yourselves to be my disciples."
John 15:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment